Facilities and Services
The Learning Resource Centre at The ACE Academy is for the benefit of all the members of the school community. We aim to offer a purposeful learning environment with a range of facilities to support both the academic and the recreational needs of the pupils, sixth form students and staff.
The library is a bright, pleasant and busy area, used by all year groups and staff throughout the day. The upper mezzanine floor is a dedicated study area for 6th form pupils.
The LRC is proud to offer DVDs, newspapers and approximately 12,000 books for the use of the pupils and staff of the school.
What you can expect of us:
- A pleasant and welcoming place to do homework, reading or research
- A relaxed, informal atmosphere
- Access to a wide range of library resources
- Library staff to help locate resources, information and to help with your computers
- Respect from all library staff
What we expect of you:
- To work quietly
- To use computers for homework or research only
- To show respect to all library staff and other students
- Not to eat or drink in the library
- To respect library property
- To have all books and DVDs stamped at the desk before you leave
- To renew or return items on time
- To help us by giving us your comments and suggestions
How do I join?
All pupils and staff are automatically members of the LRC. You don’t have to do anything! To be able to use the LRC’s facilities however, students and staff must have their white ID cards with them.
How many items can I borrow?
Students in Years 7 – 11 can borrow up to 3 books for 2 weeks at a time and 1 DVD for 2 nights. However, for students in Years 7 – 9 doing AR, one of these 3 books MUST be an AR book. Sixth form students can borrow 6 books for a period of 1 month and 1 DVD for 2 nights.
Are there fines?
There are no fines for overdue loans. However, lost or damaged loans do have to be paid for or replaced.
I can’t find what I want. What can I do?
You should use the signs and labels in the library to help you find the books you are looking for. However, if you are still struggling you can ask a librarian or pupil librarian.
When can I use the LRC?
The LRC is open for you to use freely from 8:15 every day. You can come in before and after school, and during break time and lunch time. You may be brought into the LRC with a class at other times, or be sent by a teacher – but please remember that during lesson times you need a note.
I want to be a Pupil Librarian. What should I do?
Just express your interest to the Librarians, Nina or Donna, who will take your name and details. Getting a pupil librarian ‘job’ will depend on whether there are any current vacancies. If there are no current jobs you name will be kept until there are!
Every student in Years 7 and 8, and selected students from Year 9 are taking part in the Accelerated Reading scheme. These lessons take place once a week as part of their English course. This scheme is most effective when students are doing a minimum of 20 minutes reading at home every night. For more information see their website: www.renlearn.co.uk
AR’s advanced technology:
- Makes reading practice more effective.
- Personalizes reading for every child according to each student’s current level.
Mrs Nina Williams - LRC Manager
Mrs Donna Collins - LRC Assistant
Main floor: Fiction and non-fiction. DVDs. Newspapers.
Mezzanine Floor: 6th form study area. Tables and seating for private study.